We are looking for innovative artists with a cool art idea to take up a studio residency at The Arts Village over January 2021.
What we are looking for:
- Artists with a project idea they want to explore over four weeks in studio residence. We want your project to be something you are excited about, that we can get behind. It might be something exciting or fun focused, it might consider social issues, or reflect on 2020, or come at it from a totally unexpected angle. The brief is really open.
- We want our community to be able to learn about you, your project, and your practice. You will need to have an idea of a class or workshop for the community, run by you. (We do the admin, you do the teaching/facilitation).
You will be expected to do a tiny bit of public speaking, engage in digital/social media, and be part of our community. You will also be in a shared working space so you will need to be able to share a studio with others which might at times be really quiet, a bit noisy, very focused, or a little social.
You won’t be expected to: Be onsite at set time or hours, you will be responsible for setting your own schedule. We do want you to make the most out of the studio time and utilise the space (particularly during our opening hours). The residency is really flexible and open to everyone even if you have a ‘day job’ or other responsibilities in your life.
Your pitch needs to include:
- An idea for a project or focus over the four weeks
- A short explanation of how this idea fits into your arts practice.
- A set of classes/workshops for the public that links into your project.
- As well as information about you, your background, and your arts practice.
Up to four artists will be selected. Each selected artist will receive:
- 4 weeks of studio space within a shared studio environment including power, water, and Wi-Fi.
- 4 weeks of studio support, promotion via the Arts Village Team, and access to equipment resources.
- A materials stipend of $250.
- A living stipend of up to $1000 to support their living costs during this time.
Note: Outside of the stipend we don’t cover accommodation, travel, or kai (food) costs.
Who can apply: You must be able to legally work in NZ and in NZ at the time of applying. Applicants must submit their fully completed online form on time to be considered
COVID-19 Contingencies: If our COVID-19 alert level changes we have experience in our space with how to keep the space clean, and include social distancing. If we went back into lockdown this residency will go digital. These contingencies are hard to plan for concretely until the artists are selected but is something that our team has thought about and is well-practiced in.
- Applications Close: Closes Monday 7th December 2020
- Process and Interview: 9th/10th December 2020.
- Outcome notified by: Friday 11th December 2020
- Residency Period: Monday 4th to Sunday 31st January
- At the end of the residency we hope to have a public exhibition and/or showcase the works, this is very dependent on what projects are selected.
We encourage you to ask questions if you have them. For enquiries please contact:
Tara Prieto by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07 348 9008
This project is brought to you with the support of several community partners, including funding from Creative Communities Scheme Rotorua. Our grateful thanks to our amazing community partners who enable us to make cool projects happen.