The Arts Village is a non-profit arts-based community centre.
OUR VISION is for Rotorua to be a vibrant, creative community, where art makes life good.
OUR MISSION is to actively work OF, BY, and FOR our community:
- OF what matters to, and interests, our community.
- Created BY our community.
- FOR the use and enjoyment of our community.
Our FUNDAMENTAL VALUES are:
- Art is GOOD: Art in all forms has value.
- Inclusiveness: Everyone should have the opportunity to be involved in the arts
- Well-Being: Participating in the arts is essential to a happy and healthy community for us all.
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi: Earnest and meaningful relationships with mana whenua and tangata whenua.
- Partnerships: We are part of a wider local, regional, and national community. Working together with others gets the best results for our community.
- Relevance: Change, innovation, and the courage to try new things, are vital to creativity.
- Sustainability: Creatives need opportunities to work, be paid, practice, support themselves, and contribute to local economy.
We foster and inspire our community to:
- CREATE: Make art, contribute to community projects/installations.
- LEARN: Build confidence, learn and develop new: skills, techniques, and approaches.
- SEE & FEEL: Be inspired, connected, and empowered through art.
- SHARE: Come together to kōrero, connect with others, and exchange knowledge.
- DO: Be involved in our community, take part in events and other activities.
Priority Outcomes over the next three years:
- Develop our spaces with an emphasis on accessibility, relevance, inspiration, and utility.
- Mentor community partners to develop and deliver projects.
- Work with and support tangata whenua and Māori through arts and culture.
Other outcomes of our work:
- Give access to arts and culture, it’s easy to experience it every day.
- Nurture an environment where it’s safe for those from diverse backgrounds to create art and tell their story.
- Celebrate and develop our unique building as a historic place, artistic space, and community treasure.
- Tell our stories in creative ways.
- Support emerging artists and young people in art.
- Provide avenues for artists to build their arts practice, develop their business, and identify and connect with their markets.
- Celebrate artists and recognise artistic contributions to Rotorua.
- Initiate and support creative activities that enable comment on wider issues.
- Captivate, surprise and engage audiences in the arts precinct.
- Encourage new and meaningful connections between artists, audiences and communities.
- Lead and encourage collaboration in the creative sector.
- Build cross-sector relationships and collaborations that make a difference.
Last updated: Monday 15th October, 2018