Colour the Night Matariki Installation - Anna Hayes
Tuesday 12th June 2018
Matariki Installation Art:
We are delighted to announce that local artist Anna Hayes has been selected as the successful proposal for our call for applications to create a small installation. This work will be on display at The Arts Village as part of Colour the Night for Matariki 2018.
Anna is a talented fibre artist, who runs Māori Weaving Rotorua at 1144 Hinemoa Street, and creates contemporary art through her practice: Anna Hayes Creative.
We were impressed with Anna's proposal and are excited to see her work take shape and light up in our entrance space here. We will share more images of this work as it is installed, congratulations Anna we are thrilled to work with you.
Mary-Beth Acres (Director - The Arts Village)
Call for Installation Proposals - CLOSED.
Colour the Night 2018
This opportunity has now been filled, please see the above announcement regarding the successful proposal.
Your idea needs to connect to Colour the Night - a one night multi-disciplinary arts festival on Thursday 12 July which lights up inner city Rotorua with colour, light, performance, art and music. You may choose to link to this in any way you interpret however your work must have an element of light and/or sound.
To apply all artists must submit a brief proposal no later than 2pm on Friday 25th May. Your proposal must include the following:
- Short artist bio
- Photos/other examples of at least 3 recent works
- 2 references
- A max 300 word concept outline
- A budget for your concept
- A rough concept drawing
All participating artists must guarantee that their submitted works:
- Feature sound and/or light.
- Does not infringe upon New Zealand copyright laws.
- Is the sole work of the artist entering (unless it is listed as a collaboration, in which case all contributing artists must be named).
- Is a new work created solely for this installation (as funding is not given retrospectively).
The budget for this work is and $250 as payment to the artist and up to $250 for materials. Please keep this budget in mind when developing your concept making sure that it is achievable and that you/ your resources will not be over-extended. The budget for this work is supported through funding from Creative Communities Rotorua.
- Must reside or work in the Rotorua region at the time of entry.
- May submit a maximum of two ideas per artist or collaboration.
- If you are successful, give permission for entered works to be photographed and used for promotional purposes, including online.
- Trustees and Permanent Employees of the Rotorua Arts Village Trust are not eligible to submit works for this call.
The size of the installation is up to the artist but when making your proposal please consider the following:
- Where you would like to install it at The Arts Village - this can be inside or outside but must be safe for it to be displayed and not hazardous to staff/visitors to the village.
- That the work must be eye-catching and able to be seen and enjoyed by artists coming through.
Presentation & Site Information:
- All entries must have secure surfaces and may not be wet or otherwise especially fragile.
- The artist will be completely responsible for the installation and de-installation of the work.
Insurance is the sole responsibility of the artist while the work is in transit, for the duration of the exhibition and until it is uplifted by the artist or, in the case of sold works, the purchaser. All reasonable care will be taken in the handling of all entries, but no liability for loss or damage will be accepted by The Arts Village, Rotorua Arts Village Trust, its representatives, personnel, and/or volunteers.
Selection & Winning Entry:
- One proposal will be selected for installation at The Arts Village.
- The work must be installed at The Arts Village no later than Friday 6th July and come down no earlier than Monday 20th July.
- Proposals are due no later than 2pm on Friday 25th May, those entering will find out if their proposal has been successful no later than Wednesday 30th May.
- The competition winner will be determined by a small panel representing, The Arts Village community, artists, and our funders.
- The panel decision will be final and discussion on this will not be entered into.
Have a question?
For all questions and enquiries please don't hesitate to contact:
Cian-Elyse White (Acting Community Engagement Coordinator)
P: 07 348 9008
The Arts Village - 1240 Hinemaru Street, Rotorua 3010, Aotearoa.
Where will the installation go?
The installation site will be up to the artist and agreed with management before the installation dates. Although those submitting proposals will find it easiest to come down and have a look at the village in person, here are a few of the quirky corners of our building that could be interesting to work with (please bear in mind that the selected artist may need to be a wee bit flexible on the final location of your installation once we chat about logistics, safety and shared use of spaces):